Anyone can drop a bomb

Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Re: Anyone can drop a bomb

Post by Admin (Dietrich) »

In addition to what Phil wrote, I would add that there is also some variation between targets, even in a given mission and for a given side. For example, in the Jun 10 Afternoon mission, there is an "easy-pickings" target at Azeville while there is an "oh-the-nightmare-deathtrap-horror" target at Grandcamp harbour, which is bristling with AAA, vehicles with AAA, ships with AAA and ships with vehicles with AAA. Been there, done that, bought the... farm.
Angel wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:26 am
Can I ask, when flying Blue attacking a ground target, it seems to be more heavily defended with AAA, or maybe the gunners are a higher skill level?
When flying Red attacking German targets I can strafe them for days without much return fire at all.
If you have some specific examples, we can test them and check. Just let us know the target and the mission it was in.

Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Re: Anyone can drop a bomb

Post by Admin (Philstyle) »

Admin (Dietrich) wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:33 pm
For example, in the Jun 10 Afternoon mission, there is an "easy-pickings" target at Azeville while there is an "oh-the-nightmare-deathtrap-horror" target at Grandcamp harbour, which is bristling with AAA, vehicles with AAA, ships with AAA and ships with vehicles with AAA. Been there, done that, bought the... farm.
Yup, pilots should read the brief and think a little bit before wantonly going off after a target.
Is the target a front-line paratroop unit? .. if so, it probably didn't haul twenty 40mm bofors guns across country with it.
Is the target at a port that's been there for 500 years and is currently one of only two locations that the allies can unload ALL their gear . . and someplace they're likely to have dumped a LOAD of sky-facing guns?
Is the target in the middle of an occupied french city that's had four years to build up it's AA defences?
Is the target a Panzer unit that has moved 10km since the previous mission, and is therefore not going to have any dug-in AA guns and is even unlikely to have any towed guns with it at all?

Return to “DCS - Main Discussion”