FW190 A8 - D-day release date?

Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

FW190 A8 - D-day release date?

Post by Admin (Philstyle) »

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/ ... nes/anton/

release video on that page (vimeo) says June 5 !

Angel

Re: FW190 A8 - D-day release date?

Post by Angel »

I was hoping we would see a FW190 F8 released with the A8.

I hope it is still on the cards with ED.

Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Post by Admin (Dietrich) »

Angel wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:58 am
I was hoping we would see a FW190 F8 released with the A8.

I hope it is still on the cards with ED.
Indeed.

I used to fly bombers in CloD, and our standard loadout for an old Ju 88 A-1 was 4xSC250 + 28xSC50 bombs. It would take 11x FW 190 A-8s to match that! With an FW 190 F-8, only 6 or 7 of them needed to match that Ju 88, depending on exact loadout options. Although a real bomber would be good, the F-8 is probably the best (last?) chance of getting some bombing capability for the Axis side. But, sadly, I don't think there will ever be a flyable Ju 88 A-4, let alone an He 177 A-5.

Angel

Post by Angel »

I'm hoping they at least create a Ju-88 AI aircraft that carries something else other than torpedos.

Not only do we not have a F8, but the current A8 is a bit of a dog because it doesn't come with Erhöhte Notleistung.

Having flown the A8 in DCS was it really that bad or a dogfighter compared to a P-51?

Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Post by Admin (Dietrich) »

Angel wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:40 pm
I'm hoping they at least create a Ju-88 AI aircraft that carries something else other than torpedos.
I do too.

The internal bomb bay of the Ju 88 is 3D-modelled (IMAGE), but there is no indication if the bomb bay doors will open or not. If not, then I guess the only option is an SC 500 under each wing... using the same rack as the torpedoes (although I think even that might not be possible/realistic).

However, given ED's attitude towards "German stuff and whatnot" (REF), I think it is highly unlikely that bombs will be added any time soon. The Mosquito is more likely to get bombs next (although even then, it is still a fighter bomber).

There are many in the community who don't care about bombers/recon/logistics/transport. Most of the comments about the Ju 88 on the ED forums are about nerfing the gunners so they are easier to shoot down from the heavily defended 6-o'clock position.

Angel wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:40 pm
Not only do we not have a F8, but the current A8 is a bit of a dog because it doesn't come with Erhöhte Notleistung.

Having flown the A8 in DCS was it really that bad or a dogfighter compared to a P-51?
Don't let the Erhöhte Notleistung bother you. It is natural for everyone to want their personal aircraft "just a bit better". But, as soon as the A8 gets Erhöhte Notleistung then the P-51D pilots will be clamouring for 150 octane (REF1, REF2). Then the Shrew pilots will want the Mk.XIV, and the arms race is back where it started.

Far more important than subtle nuances in performance is teamwork. Having a ground-controller makes up any minor differences in speed and manoeuvrability, and having a wing-man doubles the capacity of the A8. At the moment, there is not a single German squadron flying on SoW (REF). No wonder they are getting their aircraft parts handed to them by the RAF/USAAF on the server.

Still, I find it ironic that the fighter pilots can argue a performance margin of 10%, while the bomber pilots get ignored on a factor of 10.

Return to “DCS - Main Discussion”