Storm of War Teamspeak

DCS WW2 Combined Arms

DCS WW2 Combined Arms

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:37 pm

In the last few days, there was a DCS update.

The announcement is here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/ ... _WWIINews/

This is excellent and there were a lot of new features for WW2, including new units.

Some of these new units include:

• M12 gun motor carriage
  • M30 cargo carrier
  • M2A1/M3 halftrack
  • StuG IV
  • Sd.Kfz. 234/2 “Puma”
  • Sd.Kfz. 7 artillery tractor
  • Sd.Kfz. 251
  • Sd.Kfz. 2 Kettenkrad
  • Horch staff car
  • Barrage balloons
  • LCVP Higgins boats
  • UK soldier

I've marked some of them in blue. The reason is that these units have a feature that wasn't mentioned in the announcement...

... they are player-controllable using Combined Arms.

Update Performance of German vehicles : viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6760&p=53123#p53123

Last night's WW2 training mission was all the more interesting for being able to drive a StuG IV out to a ridge and shell an Allied road-outpost on the coast road just north of Bayeux, as FW 190s roared in overhead.

I also noted that there was a command bunker, which could be "human controlled", with 3 machine-gun positions. I didn't check every unit, so perhaps there are more. And hopefully, there will be some conversions of some of the existing WW2 units to use DCS Combined Arms in future. It is certainly excellent to be able to control operations from the ground in an actual unit, rather than just monitoring the map.

Now, maybe there was a mention of WW2-Combined-Arms somewhere, but I certainly didn't see it. On the other hand, DCS have been very productive and rolling out a lot of new content, so I may have missed it. Still, I thought it was worth drawing it to everyone's attention.
Last edited by Admin (Dietrich) on Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link to performance data
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Re: DCS WW2 Combined Arms

Postby 19RAF MJDixon » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:27 pm

We need a 'Get Rommel' MP mission with one Horch Staff Car that has to drive from one point to another without getting strafed. :lol:
19RAF MJDixon

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:24 pm

19RAF MJDixon wrote:We need a 'Get Rommel' MP mission with one Horch Staff Car that has to drive from one point to another without getting strafed. :lol:

Haha! Great idea. I'd be up for that! :mrgreen:
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:17 pm

I've been doing some testing with the DCS Combined Arms module and have some data on the four controllable German vehicles which are currently implemented in the simulator. I'm posting the data here, as it might be useful in planning their role within Combined Arms operations for the upcoming SoW campaigns. Here they are:

Top speeds were measured on the Assetto Corsa, er... I mean, Assetto Carpiquet, racetrack (i.e. the runway at Caen). Seriously, I think a rally across Normandy would be a lot of fun!

All terrain capability is not so much being able to drive on grass/dirt/etc.; they all can do that. Instead, it is the ability to punch through obstacles, such as hedges, fences, etc.. Because of this, only the SdKfz 7 and StuG IV can really go anywhere. The Horch 901 and SdKfz 2 will continuously run into things and need to back out or, sometimes, even get stuck completely and need to be abandonned.

Only the StuG IV is armed, and with a 7,5cm gun, which is pretty powerful. Currently there is no gun-sight, which makes aiming pretty much trial-and-error.

Conclusion

Basically, each has advantages/disadvantages.

• Horch 901 = very fast, which makes up for the lack of all-terrain negotiation; good recon car
  • SdKfz 2 = not useful; slower than the Horch, unstable, and limited terrain access; small and easy to hide
  • SdKfz 7 = fastest all-terrain vehicle, but a large easy-to-spot vehicle
  • StuG IV = really slow, but it is armed
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Postby EAF602_Puff » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:13 pm

EAF602_Puff
SoW Supporter

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:16 pm

I saw this today.
From a public server perspective, I'd rather avoid mods. It removes the purity check and enables people to join with doctored flight models.
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:33 pm

Mods muddies the waters regarding where crashes are occurring.
It is also a burden for users to install. Think of the SRS mess.

That said, it is good to see that the mods are possible. We just need to campaign hard to get them included into the main builds.
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Return to DCS - Main Discussion