Storm of War Teamspeak

Aircraft spotting in DCS

Aircraft spotting in DCS

Postby Ibis » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:19 am

After replicating Phil’s spotting experiment.

Here is the reason I am constantly bounced and killed.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/69955877@N07/

My first sighting of an enemy aircraft is often from my parachute :o
So I'm asking if the above screen shots are the same for you chaps at
these distances.
I'm trying to figure out if its my monitor, my eyes or is it normal.
It's the reason that I fly strike aircraft as by the time I see an enemy fighter
I'm dead anyway.
Any and all comments appreciated. 

Monitor:
Acer G-SYNC
1920X1080 @144hz

thanks,
Ibis.
Ibis

Re: Aircraft spotting in DCS

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:18 am

Interesting...
I can see the contact in the first screenshot but not the second screenshot.
This seems to me that you are losing sight of them as they get CLOSER. This is a problem with DCS for amny players whem the long-range dot turns into a 3D model. It's exacerbated on lower resolutions. This is the CONVERSE problem for higher resolutions where the long distance dots disappear but the near-range 3D models are easier to see.

Fristly, have you tried to turn off any AA (SMAA or FXAA)?
This will mean playing with Jaggies, but it will also mean that very small (a few pixels) contacts are less likely to disappear.

Also, how big is your monitor? 24 inch or 27inch.. or larger?

Also,
If you are flying on servers with the most modern aircraft, they will shoot you down without needing visual contact with you. They can use their RADAR & HUD to find and destroy you long before you are within visual range. Unforutnatley, server operators in DCS seem to think that they should just have every aricraft possible available all the time. Not many serrver operators have the balls to restrict the planetsets.
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Postby Ibis » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:44 pm

Hi phil thanks for your input.
If you click the screen shots twice they will expand to full screen and you will be able to see it.
The top screen is at 3.72kls away.
In the bottom shot it is 2.07kls away, if they come any closer I could shoot him with my side arm if I can see him.

In my case they become much more visible with zooming right in.

Both are just to the left of the reflection to the left of the centre of the mirror
The bottom shot (2.07kls) is about one inch further to the left of the first and to me is the easiest to see.

The monitor is a 24" and expensive as monitors go @ $500 the GSYNC certainly seems to smooth things out and at 144hz.
No I haven't tried turning off AA but will give it a try.

thanks, I enjoyed your videos by the way.
Regards
Ibis

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:26 pm

Ibis wrote: The monitor is a 24" and expensive as monitors go @ $500 the GSYNC certainly seems to smooth things out and at 144hz.

24" is the problem, its too small, IMO for good spotting of single dots at 1080p, in my opinion.
When I went from a 24" 1080p to 27" 1080p a few years ago my contact spotting and SA went up massively overnight.
You don't need 144Hz either for flight sims, IMO. I just have 75Hz refresh rate on my new 1440p monitor and it's fine, even for first-person-shooters.

For combat flight sims I'd recommend more screen real-estate over refresh rate, at least once you're over, say 60Hz or so.
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Postby Ibis » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:24 pm

Thanks for your advice Phil,
I'll try turning the AA down or off but I'm stuck with the screen
as it is reasonably new and I have just ordered Crosswind pedals from Milan so I have done
my hobby spending for this year at least.
cheers
Ibis

Postby 71st_AH Rob (XR-R) » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:55 pm

I'll chip in that I set my 27" 4k monitor to 1440p last night to try it out and my spotting distance doubles. Can't positively ID en a/c at More than 20nm but can see them clearly.

I might not go back to 4k in some servers. Hard to believe all the action I've been miss because my resolution has been too good.
71st AH Rob
SoW liaison
OC A Flight
No. 71 Squadron

71st_AH Rob (XR-R)

Postby No.54 Joker (KL-J) » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:00 pm

71st_AH Rob (XR-R) wrote:I'll chip in that I set my 27" 4k monitor to 1440p last night to try it out and my spotting distance doubles. Can't positively ID en a/c at More than 20nm but can see them clearly.

I might not go back to 4k in some servers. Hard to believe all the action I've been miss because my resolution has been too good.

If you go back to 1080 would it improve further is my question now.

I use a 4K TV 42" at 1080 and I'm going to test the other way when I get a chance just for the fun of it.

Given all the variables here, mileage most certainly will vary but anecdotally, it'll be interesting I guess.
No.54 Joker (KL-J)
SoW Supporter

Postby No.401_Wolverine » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:27 pm

4k'er here too. The findings here are distressing. I've known for a while something was up, but to see it quantified like this is disheartening. I often find that other guys will call out contrails or other targets that I just can't see and you'd think contrails would be visible to all. It's not until I zoom in pretty tight to the section of sky do the contacts pop in, contrails and all.
No.401_Wolverine

Return to DCS - Main Discussion