Storm of War Teamspeak

Thought I'd try out this career mode...

For the discussion of 1C's Battle of Stalingrad, Moscow, Kuban and Bodenplatte etc.

Re: Thought I'd try out this career mode...

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:20 am

I started career mode last night, starting with the earliest map (Moscow). Seems reasonable so far. There are a lot of rough edges though, such as character rendering problems in the mission briefing, or being awarded medals before you've even started flying, planes incorrectly categorised, and incorrect information in the on-screen messages.

However, generally these are minor and it the missions do actually work. The flight planning information on the maps took a bit of figuring out, but once you get the hang of it, they are really quite nice.

One thing that is weird though are the character portraits. They look so unnatural.
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:08 am

Mission 4: Not so convinced by the AI in this mission...

Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Postby 19RAF MJDixon » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:38 am

Admin (Dietrich) wrote:One thing that is weird though are the character portraits. They look so unnatural.

It seems they generate the faces out of a few different pre-made head shapes with different eyes/mouths/hair etc, I suppose it's to try to have a lot of variety with your wingmen, just at the expense of some people looking weird. :lol:

I think the Soviet ones generally look better than the German ones however.

In my Boston career I haven't seen a single German fighter for the last four or five missions (on hard/dense), the perks of being invisible I suppose. :P

By the way, Phil - I told you how to turn off the motion blur in your previous video. :roll:
19RAF MJDixon

Postby StG77_CountZero » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:56 pm

Yes Ais are dim , especialy your ones, its better just to go full rambo mode and kill all by your self, all thouse game recorces that are waisted on AI to control airplanes like human is just for nothing when they dont have good logic in decision making.
StG77_CountZero

Postby 19RAF MJDixon » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:41 am

Here are some of my VR misadventures in the career mode.

19RAF MJDixon

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:56 am

Nice Mike.. I'm still tempted, but not yet convinced, on VR...
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Postby 6./ZG76_Archie » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:05 am

Admin (Philstyle) wrote:Nice Mike.. I'm still tempted, but not yet convinced, on VR...

I gave in to temptation, it's stunning, but the resolution is so crap. Trouble is at my age if I keep waiting for it to be perfect I would never get to try it!
I haven't tried career yet, it's supposed to be quite resource hungry especially in VR.
6./ZG76_Archie

Postby 19RAF MJDixon » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:55 pm

It's not good enough for multiplayer fighter stuff, but great for single player - although Flying Circus is probably where it will shine the brightest (first generation vr for first generation air combat I suppose!).

Until then just sit in your chair and swing your head from side to side to get in some neck exercise / six checking practice in advance. :lol:

The career runs pretty well for me in VR, the only issues I get are that it goes slow motion every now and again in busy areas, which seems to be a CPU thing, but that has happened less since I switched to recording it via shadowplay rather than the in-game track recorder, presumably the latter being more CPU intensive and the former being mainly a GPU thing, even though I have to run IL2 at 4k in order to record it at a high enough resolution that it doesn't look like crap when I resize it back down from the VR split screen view, but nice to know I could run IL2 in 4K if I had a 4k monitor. :roll:
19RAF MJDixon

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:50 am

Mission 5.. I did turn the Camera Blur off AFTER this mission. So future missions will be "cleaner".

Also, what is it with wings snapping off all the time? I

Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:24 am

Totally agree about the breaking wings. As very much exemplified by similar comments on CloD (REF).
Additionally, I would add...

17:01 -- Weird smoke effect on top of the cloud.
27:11 -- Trez bean. Murky bucket. Le L'OL.
34:25 -- Wow. That's a fast approach. Is that why it says forced landing?
34:47 -- That braking sound effect. Sounds like a Ju 88 or He 111.
36:38 -- The German spy. Hehe...

Otherwise, all pretty good. Thanks for the video.
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to IL2 Battle of "X" series