Storm of War Teamspeak

So now it's possible to officially add MODS to BoX...now wha

For the discussion of 1C's Battle of Stalingrad, Moscow, Kuban and Bodenplatte etc.

Re: So now it's possible to officially add MODS to BoX...now

Postby Admin (Reddog) » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:59 am

Well I'd be up for a Malta map mod team. Its one of my primary interest areas so I've a reasonable amount of knowledge about the campaign. We'd need competent 3D modellers though who could bang through some of the building assets we'd need.
Admin (Reddog)
Site Admin

Postby Barone » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:56 pm

Admin (Dietrich) wrote:Not sure about the FW 190 A-3.

Afaik FWs were present in the Mediterranean by November '42. But they were mostly based in Tunisia so no Malta theatre.
FWs were based in Sicily in May '43 (II./SchlG 2 and III./SKG10). But I think we are far beyond the time for a "siege of Malta campaign", and we would need also Spits mkIX.
I remember Beurling talking about combats with FWs but should be the last part of the war on the island (also I could remember something wrong).
Barone

Postby StG77_CountZero » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:18 pm

And they could sell Hurricane collector airplane DLC then by big numbers if some one would make Malta mod map, but no new map mods in RoF for so long so i dont expect any in BoX also.
StG77_CountZero

Postby Mysticpuma » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:17 pm

Well it's all pretty confusing regarding what the point of Mods on in really is?
Jason has pretty much said the files are encrypted and it's up to modders to figure out how to mod, yet in another thread he has said any messing with the files will lead to a three month ban.
With no tools or guidelines it seems they want someone to hack/crack the files.....and then risk being banned?

This post sums it up?

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/34 ... ent=590481
Mysticpuma

Postby Admin (Reddog) » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:33 pm

Riiiiiiiiiiight.

And there I was thinking Jason wanted mods. From his posts there it looks very much like a PR stunt..."look, we are the only guys who allow mods (we just won't tell you how to do it or give you any tools or hints or rules and we might ban you)"

Does beg the question why doesn't it. IMO another own goal of communication (and DCS allows mods also so I'm a bit bemused about the "only" reference)
Admin (Reddog)
Site Admin

Postby StG77_CountZero » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:45 pm

how it was in RoF its now in BoX, nothing extra.
StG77_CountZero

Postby Admin (Reddog) » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:52 pm

Well I don't have ROF and I don't understand.

I'm used to ARMA mods where anything is fair game. Here I just keep seeing reference to "objects are not mods" and having to deal with encryption. Sounds to me like TF all over again.

If all that's open is the ability to give my plane a different skin then frankly it's a complete waste of time to me. I want to introduce new content. Not tweak aesthetics.
Admin (Reddog)
Site Admin

Postby StG77_CountZero » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:54 pm

Well in RoF most mods are cosmetic, change backgrounds, change textures of ground cockpit gauges and so on some objects but static and changes in texts and so on... and i see thouse things are visable here from extracted data only in RoF some one de-encripted them with time here that needs to be done, or some stuff can be changed just by try and fail methods.

I dont expect anything like in arma here, but that objects are not mods coment is confusing sure.

If i or some one would like to make a map or airplane for BoX, the way i see it from his coments, the best way is to just PM or email Jason or one of devs, show him what you are able to do and ask if they would need it and is there is any posibility to add that in game or make it so it works for thier game, i guess this is how thouse russians are doing with their airplanes and maps for game, they probably just show them what they can do in 3dmax and 777 told them ok make this this way and up to this number of polygons and so on. Basicly same as TFS was doing it, if you wonted something to add to clod you had to contact them show what you can do and then do what they wont u to do :).
StG77_CountZero

Postby Admin (Reddog) » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:27 pm

Problem with that approach is it requires previous knowledge. It rules out people who want to know what they're up against before starting.

The more this goes on, the more I think I should stick with arma
Admin (Reddog)
Site Admin

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:53 am

The "object are not mods" comment (REF) is baffling. Especially when he said earlier in the same thread that some of us "misunderstand the meaning of modding".

Obviously 1C/777 want to maintain tight control. Predictably, they don't have the resources to "hand-hold" the novices and, given that software has since moved on a LOT in the last 10-years, what used to be easy-modding, is now rather complicated. The DCS mod scene is vastly superior... at the moment. However, who knows how BoX modding will evolve with time.

I can fully understand why they do not want their flight and aircraft model code to be open. However, the community's ability to provide maps and assets (3D models, either static or dynamic) is a huge resource, which would have the ability to rapidly grow the game.

Better than just mods on/off. They should have "vanilla", "official mods" and "all mods" as the option. By having an "official mods" concept, they could control quality, while still leaving things open for community contribution.

PS: I also note that a good while ago, there was talk of a 3rd-party developer creating aircraft content... the Po-2 and Li-2. That has gone quiet recently, so obviously the task is a long and arduous one.
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to IL2 Battle of "X" series