Storm of War Teamspeak

BoX Squadron Skins

For the discussion of 1C's Battle of Stalingrad, Moscow, Kuban and Bodenplatte etc.

Re: BoX Squadron Skins

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:16 pm

Yeah, I get it, but we were joining a campaign and needed to be able to ID EAF pilots primarily. I think there are just too many of us, flying a variety of aircraft, so for us to each individual pilot would be a lot of work. They're based on stock skins, but have ID bands and markings - EAF 51 have Italian flag colours on the tails.
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Postby 56RAF_Roblex » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:03 pm

Everything you say is true. It is a lot of work and covering every pilot in every aircraft is impossible. Luckily, most of us fly spit or Yak-1b given the choice so I can cover those, just. I may cover the mig & p40 later if we find ourselves flying early war servers a lot but that will be it.
Last edited by 56RAF_Roblex on Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
56sqn US@R
Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com
56RAF_Roblex
SoW Supporter

Postby Barone » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:32 pm

Could be a nice idea.
Do you guys know which server allows custom skins? I think WOL don't do that. Finnish maybe yes I don't remember.
Barone

Postby 56RAF_Roblex » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:51 pm

None allow custom skins that I am aware of because the game itself does not have a mechanism for sharing skins.

OTOH you could say most accept custom skins because you can share them manually before going on the server. I know the Friday Night Bomber missions made a skinpack for one of the early missions. They asked the registered users to send in their skins and put them all in one pack for everyone to download.

56 use custom skins in Finnish just so we can recognise each other though nobody else can see them unless we record a video and publish it.
56sqn US@R
Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com
56RAF_Roblex
SoW Supporter

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:55 pm

56RAF_Roblex wrote:We really need 1C to put in an update that allows us to add a chosen number to an unnumbered generic skin but they tell me the skin graphics was inherited and it is too hard to rewrite it.

Yes, this sort of thing would be good.

I don't see what the big problem with it is... I can think of multiple ways of implementing it, with a poly-count of 10 or so, tops.

Regarding total sizes, hmm... well perhaps it is a bit too big for lots of them. There also seems to be a mis-match between the need to recognise the squad and recognise the aircraft within the squad.
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Postby 19RAF MJDixon » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:11 pm

Now that Battle of Kuban is out and the skin templates with it I've finished the skin pack for 19RAF (until Bodenplatte at least):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lmx5hsmbf8m3uzu/19RAF%20BoX%20RAF%20Skins.rar?dl=0

I converted the skins to 2k to recduce the file size, it includes skins for the Spitfire, Kittyhawk, Airacobra and Boston/Havoc.
19RAF MJDixon

Previous

Return to IL2 Battle of "X" series