Storm of War Teamspeak

The reason for the net lag - a short explanation

Forum now closed. Will be archived eventually
Forum rules
This is a fresh start. Please use this forum to report bugs that only TFS can fix, discuss the bug tracker and for TF announcements only.

The reason for the net lag - a short explanation

Postby Mysticpuma » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 am

Glad to see yesterday's network test was a success with 200 player limit online holding steady. That is probably the maximum limit so for stability 100(ish) players seems to be the safe setting for servers.

The fix for everyone is being sent to 1C/Steam for evaluation and once it passes their authentication it will be uploaded to the Steam and be an automatic update for everyone (as long as you have the option to keep your game kept up to date ticked in Steam).

Thanks for your patience and we're glad it is resolved and running at least equal to the way it was in v4.312 :)

Colander, our main coder, posted a short explanation of what the issue was, this is what he said:

"The explanation in short:
To obtain a high resolution time from the machine, one uses a routine called QueryPerformanceCounter. Some time ago I read (don't even remember why I started looking for this) there could be some issues with it and that on c# Stopwatch should be used instead.
Well, it seems like Stopwatch sucks balls so I reverted the code back to QueryPerformanceCounter.

This was affecting the network as the code assigns and checks the packets with that time and looks like it was getting the wrong time in some."

Sums it up perfectly.

Cheers, MP/TFS
Mysticpuma

Re: The reason for the net lag - a short explanation

Postby Admin (Reddog) » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:55 am

Thanks MP. Good news that you've managed to get it sorted. Shame it happened but hey ho, what's done is done.

News that a server can take 200 players is impressive stuff. Were there any AI in the server do you know? SoW used to suffer above 80ish players plus 40 or so AI. Having said that we did have considerable amounts of objects.
Admin (Reddog)
Site Admin

Postby Kling » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:18 pm

Max players on the server last night was 130+ I think.
Reports were that FPS started to suffer so while 200 probably would be possible, it is not realistic for gameplay imo.
Kling
SoW Supporter

Postby StG77_CountZero » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:35 pm

Hope they learned the lesson for next beta testing :) nice to see they fixed it fast
StG77_CountZero

Postby Barone » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:01 pm

Good to hear that the problem is solved. I'm curious to test if even performance online increases with the fix.
Can't wait to try it. I wasn't home but some of my teammates that were online reported no problem when playing.
You were quick in trying fixing the problem and that is really appreciated.

But please TF learn from this experience.
Start to accept negative feedback and critics without banning everyone that don't agree with you.
Critic makes you learn and can improve the product if taken the right way.
You're now an official developer you need to have a dialogue with your community (and community is not atag only).

For MP: Now that 4.5 is out can we expect more tf5 updates?
Barone

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:25 pm

Well, good to know that ATAG managed to get it fixed.

Mysticpuma wrote:The fix for everyone is being sent to 1C/Steam for evaluation and once it passes their authentication it will be uploaded to the Steam and be an automatic update for everyone (as long as you have the option to keep your game kept up to date ticked in Steam).

"is being" ... ?

Does that mean that 4.5.1 has already been sent? Or that it will be sent soon?

And will ATAG continue to run 4.5.1 for the time being?
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Postby Mysticpuma » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:45 pm

Admin (Dietrich) wrote:Well, good to know that ATAG managed to get it fixed.

Mysticpuma wrote:The fix for everyone is being sent to 1C/Steam for evaluation and once it passes their authentication it will be uploaded to the Steam and be an automatic update for everyone (as long as you have the option to keep your game kept up to date ticked in Steam).

"is being" ... ?

Does that mean that 4.5.1 has already been sent? Or that it will be sent soon?

And will ATAG continue to run 4.5.1 for the time being?

Has been

And yes 4.5 hotfix running on ATAG at the moment.

Steam ready version for everyone is expected mid-week ( this week)
Mysticpuma

Postby Mysticpuma » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:46 pm

Admin (Reddog) wrote:Thanks MP. Good news that you've managed to get it sorted. Shame it happened but hey ho, what's done is done.

News that a server can take 200 players is impressive stuff. Were there any AI in the server do you know? SoW used to suffer above 80ish players plus 40 or so AI. Having said that we did have considerable amounts of objects.

Ai was also present :)
Mysticpuma

Postby No.54 dix (KL-X) » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:54 pm

MP thanks for the insight into what happened.
I heard that we should revert back from 56k to LAN, can you confirm this?
No.54 dix (KL-X)

Postby Mysticpuma » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:28 pm

Yes, LAN is okay again :)
Mysticpuma

Next

Return to Team Fusion Simulations