Storm of War Teamspeak

nice quote about the flight sim community

For introductions, orientation, and general aviation / simming chat

nice quote about the flight sim community

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:08 am

source: https://www.reddit.com/r/flightsim/comm ... fsl_avsim/

there's a lot of "look at how much I know" instead of "let me help you learn something" in our community (aviation in general, honestly). I think a lot of it is simply related to the personalities attracted to flying. Flying is an intense activity, and it requires being at least decent across a number of topics - flying a plane, route planning, understanding an array of charts, understanding an array of technology, understanding radio phraseology, understanding flight procedures, being an amateur weather analyst and somewhat of a forecaster, and that doesn't mention the whole requirement of at least some level of logical awareness and mathematical skill. Acquiring skill in that many areas can make someone a little (or very) arrogant, which usually manifests in the sophomoric "look at how much I know" posturing (again - not pointing fingers as much as taking a shot at past versions of myself). To make things worse, the sim crowd can be a little nerdy, which can also mean the person is a little socially challenged in person-to-person communication. The result is that the internet allows them to be a little more social, given its relative anonymity and lack of on-the-spot pressure of talking in person. Repressed frustrations of not being able to gain recognition in person can manifest as a wholly different online persona, struggling for recognition...and what better way to gain recognition than to build oneself up as a pinnacle of knowledge in a niche community where information is somewhat hard to come by?
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Re: nice quote about the flight sim community

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:48 pm

Quite an accurate insight.

What bothers me, is that I can apply it to my day-life too. I guess I'm doubly doomed.

Reading the comments in that post was interesting. This one caught my attention.

And to add insult to injury, we flight simmers don't actually have anything real to show for our dedication. Real pilots can talk about how they grew up on their harrowing adventures and close calls, but the best we flight simmers can do is tell stories of the light flickering a bit more menacingly on our glowing computer boxes. It's just that much harder to grow a personality when there really are no stakes at all.
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Postby 19RAF MJDixon » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:12 pm

Well, I just look at it like how some people go to the pub and play darts, or spend their saturday morning playing football, it's not like you're going to be killed horribly doing that, unless you're really bad at playing darts. :lol:
19RAF MJDixon

Postby No.54 dix (KL-X) » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:22 pm

I can't really say I agree with it

I admit there are a few actors that are well over the line, on pretty much all sims I tried

but my background is on competitive FPS communities, flightsims' ones are a piece of cake :lol:

and it's actually really helpful all around for what i've experienced
No.54 dix (KL-X)

Postby No.54 Joker (KL-J) » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:06 pm

I can easily reference a multitude of posts and other examples of community members actively trying to share, include, develop, support and encourage. So this OP posting has a footing though it's not without counter imho.

If we see such BS posting on forums on communities we care about, here's what I say. Think Edmund Burke.

S!
No.54 Joker (KL-J)
SoW Supporter

Postby Barone » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:59 pm

It just reminds me of what has just happened with FsLabs.
Barone

Return to Officers Mess