For Mission Editor, MOOSE, Lua, scripting and other technical chat

Good Introductory Tutorial Series

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:54 am

Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Re: Good Introductory Tutorial Series

Postby No.401_Wolverine » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:24 pm

Very nice. Thanks for the links.

I've made a few missions in the DCS builder, and it's quite a powerful tool (as well as not being functionally broken in various ways like the CloD one is).

Once the Normandy map is released I plan on really getting stuck in.
No.401_Wolverine

Postby 71st_AH Rob (XR-R) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:06 am

No.401_Wolverine wrote:(as well as not being functionally broken in various ways like the CloD one is).

Whadya mean?! Patch 1.5.5 Update 4, the 'Hotfix' for the stuff the introduction of the Spitfire broke, broke more stuff in the ME than ever before. Damn them rushing to get the Spitfire out before Christmas.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p= ... count=1167

Was going to run a Sabre, P-51 / Mig-15 campaign during the SoW hiatus starting Sunday open to all SoW players but now need to go back to the drawing board and rewrite everything!. I will be running a test Sunday starting at 1800 GMT for anyone interested and if it works run a weekly campaign Sunday until SoW starts.
71st AH Rob
SoW liaison
OC A Flight
No. 71 Squadron

71st_AH Rob (XR-R)

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:18 am

71st_AH Rob (XR-R) wrote:Was going to run a Sabre, P-51 / Mig-15 campaign during the SoW hiatus starting Sunday open to all SoW players but now need to go back to the drawing board and rewrite everything!. I will be running a test Sunday starting at 1800 GMT for anyone interested and if it works run a weekly campaign Sunday until SoW starts.

I could be up for this.. have Sabre...
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Postby Admin (Reddog) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:07 pm

I also have the sabre although i have zero idea how to start it let alone fly it. Guess tonight's job is learn how.
Admin (Reddog)
Site Admin

Postby EG14_Marcast » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:46 pm

Admin (Reddog) wrote:I also have the sabre although i have zero idea how to start it let alone fly it. Guess tonight's job is learn how.

There are no tutorials with the planes :o ? I got DCS yesterday and I made some short flights with the Su-25...nice, but I expected some better graphics. Great feeling anyway to reach 5k in a couple of minutes instead of the ages needed by the WWII planes 8-)
EG14_Marcast
SoW Supporter

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:21 pm

There are training missions with the modules, there are YouTube tutorials, Chuck's Guides. The modules also come with a manual, so there is plenty out there going through how to start aircraft.
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Postby No.401_Wolverine » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:13 pm

71st_AH Rob (XR-R) wrote:Whadya mean?! Patch 1.5.5 Update 4, the 'Hotfix' for the stuff the introduction of the Spitfire broke, broke more stuff in the ME than ever before. Damn them rushing to get the Spitfire out before Christmas.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p= ... count=1167

Was going to run a Sabre, P-51 / Mig-15 campaign during the SoW hiatus starting Sunday open to all SoW players but now need to go back to the drawing board and rewrite everything!. I will be running a test Sunday starting at 1800 GMT for anyone interested and if it works run a weekly campaign Sunday until SoW starts.

Admittedly I have limited experience with the builder, but from what I've seen and done there aren't functions in the builder that just plain don't work. Or more accurately, the DCS game functions that the builder gives access to are functional in the game (barring any bugs that have been introduced). I have also not yet experienced lockups or crashes with the DCS builder that I regularly experienced with the CloD one. That said, given more time with the DCS ME I'll probably find other things about it that I prefer more in CloD editor, etc.

DCS updates come along pretty regularly, so any bugs or features broken in the ME will hopefully be fixed sooner rather than later.

Also, bear in mind that CloD missions had to be rewritten extensively after the two previous TF patches due to changes to aircraft performance which led to AI going bonkers, so it's the same thing in that regard. Recall when AI 109s began diving straight into the ground after one patch. Also, I had to redo hundreds of AI bomber missions when the changes TF made resulted in AI bomber groups breaking up wildly into confetti when they had to negotiate descents between waypoints. I anticipate that if a new TF patch comes out I will have to redo all of those missions again. That's not a knock on TF, it's just a note about patches making changes which result in mission revision. No game is safe from that.

EDIT: Just done a bit of mission builder forum browsing on the ED site. Seems like there's plenty of frustration there as well. So, it looks like there are going to be plenty of issues with both editors. I'll only know more once I get properly stuck in I suppose. Bottom line for me, though, is that DCS aircraft appear to do what you tell them to do - as long as you can tell them to do it....
No.401_Wolverine

Postby 71st_AH Rob (XR-R) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:19 pm

Admin (Philstyle) wrote:I could be up for this.. have Sabre...

I have skins for No. 3, No. 4, No. 130 and No. 234 Sqn from 2nd Allied Tactical Air Force and No. 66 and No. 92 Sqn from Fighter Command available, any preference?

Also 1 Air Division RCAF - very cool skins and 4th and 51st FIW USAF - vintage Korean War skins.
71st AH Rob
SoW liaison
OC A Flight
No. 71 Squadron

71st_AH Rob (XR-R)

Postby 71st_AH Rob (XR-R) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:50 pm

Admin (Reddog) wrote:I also have the sabre although i have zero idea how to start it let alone fly it. Guess tonight's job is learn how.

Do the start up tutorial, it is the easiest way, plenty of resources, I have a site with some Sabre material: http://1-fighter-otu.enjin.com and can give basic Sabre instruction or answer questions on TS if needed
71st AH Rob
SoW liaison
OC A Flight
No. 71 Squadron

71st_AH Rob (XR-R)

Next

Return to DCS Mission Building