Storm of War Teamspeak

Pilot event trigger?

This sub-forum is for discussing and sharing mods

Pilot event trigger?

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:54 am

I've been doing some research on DCS-WWII and have been trying to work out ways of improving the campaign experience.

One thing that I'd like to be able to accomplish is reconnaissance.

The idea of a pilot flying over an area, taking a photo and returning to base. As far as I can tell, there is no in-built recon mechanism with any of the five WWII aircraft. But I could do it with some sort of "pilot event trigger".

In SoW / CloD 4.312 we used the TAB-4-3 menu. Is there something similar for DCS? The pilot would press some combination of keys and in the server log we'd get something like...

Code: Select all
17-Dec-2017 10:44:23.2; x=-1.089223; y=49.12142; xvii-Dietrich pilot event trigger

... basically a specific event-type, with date, time, where and who.

Server side code could then do the rest, parsing the log to find if the pilot made it home and whether the "photo" was taken anywhere useful.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this in DCS?
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Re: Pilot event trigger?

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:59 am

There might be a recon function already built in... need to check
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Postby No.54 Thurmann (KL-T) » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:47 am

Their is a feature called Cockpit Visual Recon Mode.
Although i have never used it i know when you right click your mouse when it is in slew mode (as opposed to selection mode with the yellow cross), a red cross appears which allows you to click on targets outside your cockpit.
It makes contacts that were previously not visible in F10 view visible .

Thurmann
Si Occiderit Me Possum Invenire
No.54 Thurmann (KL-T)
SoW Supporter

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:53 am

Also Dietrich, you can draw trigger zones anywhere on the map. These triggers can generate responses when activities occur. For example, "trigger x when anyone from the blur team enters this zone.

Additionally I think you can assign tigger zones to follow moving units.. like ships..
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:06 pm

@Thurmann : The "red-crosshair-to-F10" would be absolutely perfect, but I need to check if it puts something into the server log. The idea is that the recon can trigger campaign-level changes, rather than just a tactical spotting. What we want is to be able to get AI units to attack discovered targets. Or, maybe we can use the "cockpit visual recon" trigger to then trigger something else, which would put in the log event? Not sure... I'll need to do some testing.

@Phil : Also a good option, but I'm worried that it would result in pilots either simply raster-flying the map, or alternatively accidentally triggering targets that are not of interest. In SoW, we could "direct" the AI action by using selective recon. This what I'm trying to replicate in DCS.
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:11 pm

There is a trigger event that can be used to allow you to put in a response through the radio menu and it can be a custom response. I can not remember what it is called though. I have tried it once and it does work. I set up recon zones with the TF51D so only that aircraft could be used for recon, nothing else would work, no matter how many times they flew through the trigger zone.
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:18 pm

EAF79_OD_ wrote:There is a trigger event that can be used to allow you to put in a response through the radio menu and it can be a custom response. I can not remember what it is called though. I have tried it once and it does work. I set up recon zones with the TF51D so only that aircraft could be used for recon, nothing else would work, no matter how many times they flew through the trigger zone.

Sounds promising
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:30 pm

Radio Item Add For Group.

You can then get a flag and type in a custom message, which I suppose would be registered by a server, so you could do this. I can set it so that only the TF51D can trigger it, and I am sure that there is a lot more that I could do with it, but I've not had a need to yet. I have to say I enjoy the massive range of options that you have in the DCS mission editor. There is only one part of the triggers in CLoD that I prefer and that is the triggers can repeat (spawning aircraft for example). Otherwise I have found DCS to be a lot more flexible in the mission editor (but you guys know more about mission building than I do!)

There are a number of "Radio Add Item" commands though, so they are worth playing around with,
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:22 pm

Great! Thanks OD. I'll try that out then.
Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:58 pm

I hope the URL points to the correct part of the tutorial...
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vua4qH4Fv2c&t=208s[/youtube]
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Next

Return to DCS Modding