Storm of War Teamspeak

A new YT series? Purnells History of WW2

For posting updates and information on all sorts of other games.
Feel free to link you twitch or YouTube accounts here too.

A new YT series? Purnells History of WW2

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:16 am

Hi folks,
I'm thinking of starting a new series on my YouTube channel.. but becasue it is probably going to require a LOT of work, I'm keen to know if there is any interest, before I start.

So, in the 1960s my grandfather (who served in the Mediterranea/ Middle East in WW2) bought a series of collector magazines about the war. These are the Purnells series, over 8 volumes (~100 magazines) that were published by Phoebus Publishing Ltd in co-operation with the Imperial War Museum. They tell the story of WW2, fromt he perspective of the 1960s, which obviuosly has some variations to how the war might be viewied today. However, one interesting aspect is that many of the contributors were Veterans.

I inhetrited these volumes in the 1990s, and they've recently been shipped from New Zealand over to Germany where I live.

I'm considering going through the whole series, one video per magazine issue. But becasue none of the Magazines are digital, I will have to take photos and video of them with a Camera, so the visual quality of the video might not be so great. It's going to be time consuming work.. but maybe interesting..

The other issue is that I appear to bbe missing volume 6....

So, would folks find this interesting?
Any tips for how I can film/ photograph the magazine pages without loosing too much quality? . .
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Re: A new YT series? Purnells History of WW2

Postby No.54 dix (KL-X) » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:34 am

that would be seriously cool!
sadly i think your videos would get flagged for copyright infringement
i remember some people reading books on youtube some time ago, and they got their videos blocked and maybe even the account suspended for some time (nor 100% sure about this, a couple of years have passed at the very least)
so i suggest to check that before dedicating a lot of time into something that could potentially be blocked :(
No.54 dix (KL-X)

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:53 am

No.54 dix (KL-X) wrote:that would be seriously cool!
sadly i think your videos would get flagged for copyright infringement
i remember some people reading books on youtube some time ago, and they got their videos blocked and maybe even the account suspended for some time (nor 100% sure about this, a couple of years have passed at the very least)
so i suggest to check that before dedicating a lot of time into something that could potentially be blocked :(

I would have to be "reviewing" the material and claim fair use I think.
Simply reading it out and reproducing it would be a breach of copy-rught, yes.

This one seems to have been acceptable to YT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMcGKl_HqVE
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Postby 19RAF MJDixon » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:48 pm

So you can't just sit there in a leather chair next to a fire, smoking a pipe, reading to the camera?

What is even the point of this you tube?
19RAF MJDixon

Postby No.54 Joker (KL-J) » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:59 pm

19RAF MJDixon wrote: ..........
What is even the point of this you tube?

Cat videos Mike !
Where have you been man ?

Phil, If copyright is a concern (depends on what you actually want to do), the I guess you've already considered whether seeking permission makes sense. Seems the rights may be anywhere now given the merger and changes apparent via a quick internet search.

As for digitizing .....

Would a Flatbed scanner not be a better way to digitize the hardcopy to high quality.
Not that photograph can't do it ...

Both methods will require patience and attention to detail !!!

I like the roaring fire, cardigan, (maybe less the pipe) image as a back ground image. Easily done with some green material handing behind you and some photoing magic software skullduggery.

Regarding vol.6
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDe ... 1-_-title5

S!
No.54 Joker (KL-J)
SoW Supporter

Postby Admin (Reddog) » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:30 pm

Coincidences.

My grandfather, who also served in Middle East & Med, owned a few of these and gave them to my uncle who passed them to me.

I of course then bought a complete set on ebay not that long ago for a ridiculously paltry sum.

They're good primers for theatres I'm not familiar with but your right about the 1960's accuracy...
Admin (Reddog)
Site Admin

Return to Other Games and YouTube Channels