Storm of War Teamspeak

DCS ATC examples and procedures

DCS ATC examples and procedures

Postby Admin (Dietrich) » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:35 am

Feedback from the SoW DCS mission decided that there was no need for ATC. Nevertheless, I did a bit of a hunt-about and found a few videos on it. Even if we don't do it, it is rather neat and might be useful for doing special events or for promotional videos.

Admin (Dietrich)
Site Admin

Re: DCS ATC examples and procedures

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:36 pm

I was just watching Dixon's viedo and I was thinking that it might be handy to have an ATC to co-ordinate different flights operating from the same airfield (It was asked at one point where the Mirages were). If we have it as someone that has Combined Arms then they can sit in a Tactical Commander Position and guide aircraft around...if we wanted to be really creative then we could implement a "Follow Me" vehicle to guide the flights to the runway.

I also thought that Simple Radio may be worth investigating for talking to other flights, especially in the Harrier where there is more than one radio channel that can be monitored at any one time. The second channel can be a general channel for people in need of assistance/AWACS/ATC. It's something that could be honed over time, as we all get to know how it works and whether it is suitable for what we're looking to do. Maybe it would end up with a combination of Teamspeak and Simple Radio in the end, who knows.

I have to say I am really looking forward to future missions and it would be great to start getting teams involved with human opposition in future. 8-)
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Postby Admin (Philstyle) » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:46 pm

EAF79_OD_ wrote:I also thought that Simple Radio may be worth investigating for talking to other flights, especially in the Harrier where there is more than one radio channel that can be monitored at any one time. . 8-)

I think SRS will come eventually, but first I want to:
1. Get some basic mission ideas completed and run to mainly test the DCS platform
2. Be confident that DCS is on the right track for SoW
3. Get a stand-alone DCS server set up to run the sim first, with a good idea of how dense the missions and player numbers can safely be
THEN, I will look at a server-side version of SRS to install.

So, it's probably a couple of months off, in all likelihood.

We also have things like stats and other offline interfaces to think about.
Admin (Philstyle)
Site Admin

Postby EAF79_OD_ » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:50 pm

Yeah, it's all stuff to build up over time. The missions seem good and the planeset should be reasonably balanced with a range of capabilities.
EAF79_OD_
SoW Supporter

Return to DCS - Main Discussion